Friday, January 2, 2009

Microsoft Refuses to Fix Broken Xbox Live Account



A user named RickH from Quarter To Three Forums posted a "Warning About Gamertags and Windows Live IDs":


"With a middle finger raised in Microsoft's direction.

I set up an Xbox Live Silver account for one of my sons in April 2007, using a Windows Live ID linked to one of my email addresses. This Christmas, he asked for and got an Xbox Live 12-month card so he could play online.

However, when I try to enter the code, it says it can't connect to Xbox Live. (Which is BS, because I can do it with the other profiles in the system.) After a half hour on the phone with MS's highly scripted but ultimately useless 1-800-4MYXBOX folks, they told me that the Windows Live ID "hadn't been used in so long that it expired." As a result, my son's Xbox Live Gamertag, which logs into Xbox Live just fine to record his achievements, is permanently unable to be turned into a Gold account."

"Which leads me to my warning: if you claimed a gamertag you thought you might want someday, or just got a Silver "for now," but haven't been using the Windows Live ID you created to get the tag, there is a good chance it expired and your tag is now permanently orphaned, stuck in the purgatory created by Xbox Live's absolute dependence on a WLID that might not be around the next time you want to use it."

No comments:

X360